(Above: The Black Shades)
NOTE: This list does not apply directly to the most recent house show I attended, but was inspired by all or many.
* Cheap, effective entertainment. House show bands, regardless of their musical prowess, are usually great showman. Energy is THERE. House shows are either free or under $10.
* Comfortable environment — it’s like being at home — ‘cuz it is. How often is there a couch or big recliner in a venue while you’re watching a band? Pop a squat once your heels have rubbed your toesies raw.
*Easy social situation — many opportunities for comment with strangers. Possible topics include:
— ridiculous shit outfits hipsters are wearing
— the temperature : hot as shit in house, cold as shit outside
— (for smokers) : smoking
— (for non-smokers): drinking
— (for non-drinkers): pop culture
* Do not expect quality sound. Do not expect near-to-quality sound. Do not judge the performing bands on this less-than-quality sound.
* Parking always sucks at house shows. Unless it’s a field party show. That’s a whole different list.
* It is almost-always DARK as shit and you are disoriented and you end up with pictures like this where you look like you don’t know how to use a camera and Questlove’s cousin is over your shoulder gettin’ real annoyed by your flash:
- December 21 2011 5 Notes